Author: Greg White
||8 hours for CPAs
8 hours Federal Tax Related for EAs and OTRPs
8 hours Federal Tax Law for CTEC
Join expert Greg White, CPA, as he covers essential real estate planning ideas and practical tax tools. The topics will span the life cycle of real estate:
• Strategies for purchasing real estate (including allocating the purchase price to land, building, land improvements and personal property).
• Operating real estate (including applicability of the section 199A QBID to rental real estate), real estate professionals (including when to elect to aggregate rental properties), using debt-financed distributions to convert nondeductible interest to deductible interest expense, maximizing depreciation deductions.
• Disposing of real estate, including allocating the purchase price to reduce taxes and minimizing recapture income. We’ll also cover how to utilize §1031 exchange to make a tax-free exchange into future vacation home. And comparing the advantages of a §1031 exchange vs. an investment in a qualified opportunity fund.
This course is excluded from the following subscription programs:
Value Pass, Self-Study Package, Webinar Package, Self-Study & Webinar Package, and Firm Package.
Publication Date: May 2020
- Best depreciation method for real estate improvements, including Tax Cuts and Jobs Act changes
- Maximize the §199A deduction in the real estate rental area
- Allocate the purchase price of real estate to land, building, land improvements, and personal property
- The new rules for de minimis expensing updated for changes in the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act
- Changes made to interest deductibility area
- Should some real estate owners "elect out" even though their gross receipts are significantly below $25 million?
- Self-employment taxes and rental real estate
- Picking the right type of entity to own real estate
- Cutting-edge tax strategies for real estate professionals
- Recognize and apply strategies for real estate, including strategies available under the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act
- Identify how to determine the best depreciation method for real estate improvements
- Recognize how to maximize the §199A deduction in the real estate rental area
- Identify how to allocate the purchase price of real estate to land, building, land improvements, and personal property
- Recognize and apply the new rules for de minimis expensing
- Recognize and apply changes made to interest deductibility area
- Describe self-employment taxes and rental real estate
- Differentiate how to pick the right type of entity to own real estate
- Identify cutting-edge tax strategies for real estate professionals
- Identify which UOP as it relates to building systems
- Describe depreciation and de minimis rules
- Identify qualified improvement property
- Recognize reference tax court cases associated with rental real estate
NASBA Field of Study
Taxes (8 hours)